Monday, March 2, 2009

Top 5 Movies of 2008 (I know... really late)

Since I have been slacking over the past 2 weeks, after watching the Oscars I forgot to post the top 5 movies that I saw during 2008. It was a pretty good year for movies and I managed to see a lot in the theaters (always a goal of mine). So without further ado, here are my top 5 movies that I saw in 2008. Feel free to comment and leave your own top 5, I would love to see them.

5. Appaloosa- I am usually not a huge Western fan but Appaloosa was a great movie. The performances of Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris were great and the landscapes and scenery of the movie just made it very visually appealing. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good action movie that revolves around a solid plot.

4. Iron Man- Iron Man was just a fun movie to watch. I would consider it a blockbuster movie but Robert Downey, Jr. did a great job and was really convincing as multimillionaire arms manufacturer Tony Stark. However, I felt as though Jeff Bridges was equally as good and played a great villain.

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- There weren't a ton of movies released this year where I consistently laughed for the entire movie but this was one of them. (Tropic Thunder also comes to mind) There were just some hilarious scenes in this movie, whether it was the surfing lessons that Jason Segal took with Paul Rudd (a very underrated comic actor in my book), the Dracula musical, or any scene with Russell Brand in it. This movie was just downright hilarious.



2. The Dark Knight- Absolutely loved this movie, as did most of America. Heath Ledger was probably one of the greatest villains I have ever seen in a movie and it is a shame that he is no longer able to show how versatile an actor he is. The action scenes were done brilliantly, the plot was awesome, and the visual effects were just stunning. I saw this movie at least 3 times this summer and loved it every single time.

1. Slumdog Millionaire- For once the Oscars got it right. This movie was just breathtaking. From the amazing shots of the slums of Mumbai to the way that the movie was filmed jumping from flashbacks and then back to the present, it was simply awesome. Not only was it filmed brilliantly but the soundtrack was perfect for the movie. Never before did I think I would see a movie win an Oscar that had M.I.A.'s song "Paper Planes" in it twice but it fit perfectly. And the last song of the movie, Jai Ho, is great by itself. This was one of my favorite movies of all time and if you haven't seen it yet, I would highly suggest going to see it ASAP.

1 comment: